Table of Contents
How to Remove Backgrounds in Illustrator? To remove a background in Adobe Illustrator, first open the image you would like to edit within the program. Next select the Magic Wand tool from the toolbar and click on the area of your image that contains background you wish to delete. This will select all pixels with similar colors as your selection.
Afterward, press Delete or Backspace on your keyboard to remove this portion of your photo. You can also use other tools such as Quick Selection Tool or Eraser Tool if needed for more precision when selecting parts of an image. Once finished, save and export your edited file for future use!
Read Our Full Blog: How To Remove Background from PDFs
- Step 1: Open the Illustrator file that you want to edit. Select the background object or image layer with your selection tool.
- Step 2: Click on Object in the top menu bar and select Clipping Mask > Make from the drop-down menu. This will create a clipping mask over your selected object, which is an invisible box covering it up and hiding everything outside of it.
- Step 3: Go to Window > Pathfinder and click on “Release” to remove any clipping masks applied over the background area. This will reveal any elements inside of those masks that were previously hidden behind them.
- Step 4: Use either the Pen Tool or Shape Builder Tool (depending on which version of Adobe Illustrator you are using) to draw shapes around any remaining pieces of background that need removed, like a window shape for instance, so they can be deleted easily in one go without having to manually delete each piece individually by hand.
- Step 5: Once all unwanted items have been selected, simply hit Delete on your keyboard and just like that you have successfully removed all backgrounds from an Illustrator file!
Read Full Blog: Premiere Pro Cropping Video
How To Remove Backgrounds In Illustrator: Step By Step!
To remove backgrounds in Adobe Illustrator, you can use various techniques, depending on the complexity of the background and the specific elements in your design. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
Method 1: Simple Background Removal with Clipping Mask:
This method is suitable for designs with a relatively simple background and a clear contrast between the subject and the background.
- Open Your File:
- Open your Adobe Illustrator file containing the image you want to remove the background from.
- Select the Image:
- Click on the image to select it.
- Choose “Make Clipping Mask”:
- Go to the “Object” menu at the top.
- Select “Clipping Mask” and then choose “Make.”
- Adjust as Needed:
- The background will be hidden, leaving only the subject visible. You can adjust the position and size of the subject by selecting and moving it.
- Exit Clipping Mask:
- To exit the clipping mask and finalize the changes, right-click on the image and choose “Release Clipping Mask.”
Method 2: Advanced Background Removal with Image Trace:
Use this method when you need to remove a complex background with a mix of colors and elements.
- Open Your File:
- Open your Adobe Illustrator file containing the image you want to work on.
- Select the Image:
- Click on the image to select it.
- Image Trace:
- Go to the “Object” menu and select “Image Trace” > “Make.”
- Adjust Image Trace Settings:
- In the “Image Trace” panel that appears, adjust the settings to optimize the tracing for your image. You can tweak options like Threshold, Paths, and Colors to fine-tune the background removal.
- Expand the Image:
- Once you’re satisfied with the tracing result, go to the “Object” menu and select “Expand.” This will convert the traced image into editable vector paths.
- Delete Background Elements:
- Use the Selection tool to select and delete any unwanted background elements or areas.
Method 3: Using the Magic Wand Tool:
This method is suitable for images with a clear background and a subject that contrasts well with it.
- Open Your File:
- Open your Adobe Illustrator file.
- Select the Magic Wand Tool:
- Click on the “Magic Wand” tool in the toolbar.
- Click on the Background:
- Click on the background area you want to remove. The Magic Wand tool will select the area based on color similarity.
- Delete or Hide the Selection:
- Press the “Delete” key on your keyboard to remove the selected background, or you can choose “Edit” > “Cut” to remove it.
- Fine-Tune as Needed:
- Use the Direct Selection tool or other editing tools to fine-tune the selection and make any necessary adjustments.
- Save Your File:
- Save your file with the background removed.
These methods should help you remove backgrounds in Adobe Illustrator based on the complexity of your design and the nature of the background. Remember to save your work regularly to preserve your progress.
Transparent Background Illustrator
Transparent background illustrations can be created in Adobe Illustrator by deleting the artboard or simply removing the white background. To delete the artboard, go to File > Document Setup and select Delete Artboards from the drop-down menu. If you want to remove only the white background, select all of your artwork with Select All (Ctrl/Cmd + A) then use Object > Clipping Mask > Release to make it transparent.
Once this is done, save your file as a .png so that you have an image with a transparent background ready for use!
How to Remove White Background in Illustrator
Removing white backgrounds in Adobe Illustrator is an easy task. To do so, select the image and go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make or press Ctrl/Cmd + 7. This creates a clipping mask which uses the shape of your selection as a mask for the object underneath it, effectively removing any extra white space around your object.
You can also use the Magic Wand Tool to select objects with similar colors and then delete them from your canvas to remove any remaining whitespace.
Remove Background Illustrator Image Trace
Adobe Illustrator’s Image Trace feature is a great tool for quickly and easily removing backgrounds from images. It uses vectorization technology to identify the outlines of an image, allowing you to create a vector version of your image with just a few clicks. With this tool, you can accurately adjust settings such as threshold levels and paths to get exactly the result that you want.
Additionally, using Image Trace also eliminates any unwanted pixels or artifacts in your design, ensuring that it comes out looking clean and professional every time.
How to Remove Background in Photoshop
Photoshop provides an easy way to remove a background from your image. To begin, open the image you wish to edit in Photoshop and select the Background Eraser tool located on the left-hand toolbar. Then, click and drag over any areas of the background that you want to remove until it disappears.
If needed, adjust brush size or opacity as desired for more accurate results. Once finished, save your edited photo with a transparent background!
Remove Background Online
Removing backgrounds from images can be a tedious and time-consuming task, but luckily there are now tools available that make it easy to do online. With just a few clicks of the mouse, you can quickly remove background elements from photos with ease. Many of these online tools provide options for customizing how your image looks without having to use any complex software.
This makes it easier than ever before to create stunning images with an impressive professional look in no time at all!
1. What is the purpose of removing backgrounds in Illustrator?
Removing backgrounds in Illustrator is commonly done to isolate a subject or object from its background. It allows you to create clean and professional-looking graphics, illustrations, or images that can be used in various design projects.
2. Which method should I use to remove a background in Illustrator?
The method you choose depends on the complexity of the background and the image. For simple backgrounds with high contrast, the Clipping Mask method is sufficient. For more complex backgrounds, the Image Trace method can be useful. The Magic Wand tool is ideal for clear backgrounds with well-defined edges.
3. Can I remove backgrounds from photographs in Illustrator?
Yes, you can remove backgrounds from photographs in Illustrator, but the effectiveness of the process depends on the image’s complexity and the quality of contrast between the subject and the background.
4. Is there an automatic or one-click background removal tool in Illustrator?
Illustrator does not have an automatic one-click background removal tool like some dedicated image editing software. Background removal in Illustrator typically involves manual selection and adjustment, which offers greater control over the process.
5. Can I use Illustrator to remove backgrounds from scanned drawings or sketches?
Yes, you can use Illustrator to remove backgrounds from scanned drawings or sketches. The process involves selecting and deleting or masking the unwanted background elements.
6. What should I do if the Magic Wand tool doesn’t select the background accurately?
If the Magic Wand tool doesn’t select the background accurately, you can adjust its tolerance level to make it more or less sensitive to color variations. Experiment with different tolerance settings until you achieve the desired selection.
7. Can I remove a background from an image with gradients or complex patterns?
Removing backgrounds from images with gradients or complex patterns can be challenging in Illustrator. The Image Trace method may be more suitable, but you may need to spend additional time refining the results.
8. What should I do if the background removal results in jagged or rough edges around the subject?
To address jagged or rough edges, use the Pen tool or the Direct Selection tool to manually refine the edges of your subject. You can also apply a feathering effect to soften the edges.
9. How can I save my image with the background removed in Illustrator?
Once you’ve removed the background, you can save your image in various formats, such as JPEG, PNG, or SVG, by going to “File” > “Save As” and selecting your desired format.
10. Are there any online tools or dedicated software for easier background removal?
Yes, there are dedicated background removal tools and online services that specialize in this task, such as remove.bg, Clipping Magic, and Adobe Photoshop. These tools often offer more automated and user-friendly background removal features.
11. Is There a Way to Remove White Background in Illustrator?
Yes, there is a way to remove white background in Illustrator! To do this, open the image you wish to edit and select the Magic Wand tool from the Tools panel. Then click on the area of your image that contains white and it should be selected.
Once selected, go to Object > Clipping Mask > Release or press Command + Shift + G (on Mac) or Ctrl + Shift + G (in Windows). This will release your selection as an object on its own layer. Lastly, delete this layer with the white background by selecting it and pressing Delete or Backspace.
Now you have successfully removed any whitespace from your image in Illustrator!
12. How Do I Remove the Background Color from an Artboard in Illustrator?
If you’re looking to remove the background color from an artboard in Adobe Illustrator, it’s actually pretty simple. First, open up your document and select the artboard that you want to edit. Then, go to “Object” at the top of your menu bar and click on “Artboards”.
From there, select “Properties…” This will open a box with various settings for the artboard. On this page, locate the setting labeled as “Background Color” and uncheck that box. After doing so, hit OK and your changes should be saved!
Now when viewing your document or exporting it out as a PDF file or other format type – any artwork outside of those bounds should have no background color associated with them anymore!
How To Remove A White Background In Illustrator CC!
Removing backgrounds in Illustrator is a great way to make your artwork stand out. With the help of clipping masks, you can easily remove background elements and create unique designs that will look professional and eye-catching. Whether you’re creating logos, illustrations or other digital art projects, learning how to use clipping mask effectively can take your artwork to the next level.
With practice and experience, you should be able to master this powerful tool quickly!